June 29, 2012

As for summer life and working girls

I realized something tonight. I think this is the first time I ever really put my finger on it. The events of sophomore year have stopped seeming pertinent; I have stopped lamenting that "they were one/two whole years ago!" I have stopped wishing and fuming and dreaming what ifs. That year was so formative, but everything that came out of it for me is starting to feel like part of the fabric, and less raw and jolting. It's old hand by now; it's old news.

I was driving home from work tonight, utterly exhausted, feeling drained from smiling so hard for that 8 hour shift, and I was blasting Springsteen (Born to Run, Dancing in the Dark) and I was feeling free and the night was clear and the air was dark. I sang with the windows open and empty streets and no matter how pointless and draining work can feel, I felt carefree. I really only wish I had someone to share that with.

But as for this Springsteen binge, god, his lyrics are just seducing and poetic and true. Who could even come up with lines like Just wrap your legs round these velvet rims/And strap your hands across my engines (Born to Run) and I took month-long vacations in the stratosphere...And I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car (Growin' Up). Yes. Songs like Girls in Their Summer Clothes and My Hometown are particularly relevant at the moment, and I anticipate It's Hard to be a Saint in the City to be pertinent in years to come. Mmm. His music has become 'classic' for a reason, guys.


No comments:

Post a Comment