June 27, 2012

As for these early summer days

A sundry of topics is about to hit you. Just warning.

One thing that I've been enjoying...

What has yoga taught me? I've flirted with yoga on and off, whenever it was easily available to me, mostly during summers, for about five years. At camp sometimes they would offer it, when I was interning in the city last summer I probably had the most experience with it than ever before (hot yoga!). But this summer I'm really learning what it means to practice yoga a little more (note to all the yogis out there: this is all coming from an amateur with relatively minimal amount of experience, mostly an appreciation). I'm learning that it's not about how far you go in a pose, but if you practice it well. Shoulders plugged back, chest softened, fingerpads whitening, heels stretching, pelvis tilting, neck reaching. I feel so much better about my practice now that I'm trying to do things well instead of trying to prove that I can do them the most.


And some quotes for my summer state of mind....

“From now on I hope always to stay alert, to educate myself as best I can. But, lacking this, in future I will relaxedly turn back to my secret mind to see what it has observed when I thought I was sitting this one out. We never sit anything out.” - Ray Bradbury
“He thought books could cure everything.  We all think that at a certain time in our lives–don’t we?–when we discover books.  We think in an emergency all you’ve got to do is open the Bible or Shakespeare or Emily Dickinson, and we think, 'Wow! They know all the secrets.'" - Ray Bradbury
"The question you should be asking isn't, 'What do I want?' or 'What are my goals?' but 'What would excite me?'" - Tim Ferriss
"Their youngness is terrifying. How could I have put myself into the hands of such inexperience?" - Margaret Atwood

And some things I've made...
Irish Soda Bread, Coffee, Oates

Strawberry Blueberry Skillet Crumble
And one thing that sums up how I feel after a fun night....

Une Femme C'est Une Femme
And some things I've been listening to....
The Start of Something - Voxtrot
A Few Screws Loose - A Great Big Pile of Leaves
High Times - Landon Pigg
I'm Ready, I Am - The Format
For A Fool - The Shins
Ooh La La - The Faces
Rave On - M. Ward
Give A Little Love - Noah and the Whale
If Looks Could Kill - Camera Obscura
The Future Pt. 1 - Voxtrot
Postcards From Italy - Beirut
In the Aeroplane Over the Sea [Neutral Milk Hotel Cover] - Fanfarlo
Where Do You Go To (My Lovely)? - Peter Sarstedt
Teenage Love Song - Rilo Kiley
Raised By Wolves - Voxtrot
Brand New Start - Little Joy
you will. you? will. you? will. you? will. - Bright Eyes
Mesa, AZ - Bad Books
Excuses - The Morning Benders
My Creator - Wye Oak

No comments:

Post a Comment